Thursday 28 February 2013

Battle 2 - The Cheeky Ambush

Who would the opposing general be indeed! Who else would be reckless enough to agree to take a ragbag collection of goblins and cheeky enough to ambush their Uncle while on a pleasant march in the countryside!?!
My Goblin force was going to be fairly straightforward based on what was available and the sort of thing one might expect from an ambushing force. No war machines, no Arachnarok (although that’s mainly because I don’t like using models that are bigger than me, especially when they’re large spiders!), no Black Orc heros to quell animosity (and kill half the unit, one of the necessary steps to stop rule benders unfortunately), and no lumbering Trolls. I played around in Battlescribe to see what sort of balance might work and re-read the battle report in White Dwarf 155. In terms of the army I wanted a big unit of Wolf Riders to run around hopefully scaring Sims’ army and getting up to some mischief. I had about 40 Gobbos with short bows so I decided to pop them into 2 units with a Nasty Skulker each. The remaining units would be 2 simple mobs of Gobbos with spears. Hardly a fantastic fighting force but we’d see if we couldn’t upset the Empire recruits, not least by adding a little surprise in the form of a Lvl 2 Shamen!
In the Battle Report the Goblins felt they had lost because they split their army and the ambushers knocked each half of the army off one by one (and they had 1200 points to the Elves 1800!). Despite this I thought I’d also split my army, with the archers on one side of the table and the remaining mobs on the other. The archers didn’t represent much points wise so if Sims went after them all the better. However I didn’t think he would in which case they’d be running across the table as fast as their little legs could carry them to upset his rear, and of course getting off as many arrows as possible. Oh yes, with the little shamen in tow! Now all I needed was to hope against too much animosity…

No comments:

Post a Comment