Wednesday 27 February 2013

Battle 2 - The General’s New Position

After the horrific destruction of the town I was garrisoning, and the wholesale slaughter of my army, along with the enthusiastic manner in which I was sacrificed by the unit of Swordsmen I was leading, things hadn’t got off to a good start! The Wise Chimp suggested we could create some sort of dialogue to accompany this tale of woe so I let him knock something up as follows:
“After serious injury at the paws of the fearsome Khorne Hero Little Cheeky Monkey, General Simius Sapiens was carried from the field by the Swordsmen who had eventually plucked up the courage to drive off the Chaos Hero. The Chaotics ignored the remnants of the Empire force as they plundered the town of Bananburg, particularly it’s famed banana warehouses. Burying the cannon the survivors retreated to the nearby town of Lengenfeld to lick their wounds. The Swordsmen and Crossbowmen units were ordered to return to Nuln with the artillery crew while Simius recuperated. Upon his recovery the opportunity to lead some newly trained regiments to a rendez-vous with their new commander in Wolfsback provided a more tempting opportunity than returning to Nuln straight away to face the music, so the General took command!”
Ultimately my aim would to avenge the destruction of Bananburg, especially their “famed” banana warehouses! However in the meantime I would put together another 1,000pt force to represent the new recruits, literally in the case of my Greatswords who had arrived in the meantime. Now all I had to do was find some glue! The idea of the scenario was for an ambush by a Goblinoid army of some sorts. However the family’s Orc player, another nephew who prefers to be known by his surname Kong, due to his quaint first name, was busy with “other commitments”. In light of that we dug around my collection to see what I had, and found a veritable horde of Goblins from edition 4 of WFB, plus a few from Warhammer Quest, Heroquest and Battlemasters. The scenario would be an ambush where the Goblins would charge out and attack my force as we were crossing the River Aver. The inspiration for this was a Battle Report in White Dwarf 155, shortly after WFB 4th ed. was released, named “The Battle of Red Axe Pass” where Goblins ambushed a High Elf force. Given that I was supposedly travelling, and with new recruits, I got into the spirit of things and picked an army with lots of core troops, with no cannon (which wouldn’t be ready for combat if I was really ambushed) or my usual Flagellants. The Pistoliers would have been appropriate, as would the Swordsmen, but both were in the doghouse after the first Battle! I had to pick a unit of Greatswords to try out my new men, plus Hunters to act as scouts for the trip (they clearly did a cracking job as I’m about to be ambushed!). Then the remainder of the force was 2 Halberdier units, a Spearmen unit and a 20 strong Archers unit. There was a certain practicality to the force, the Archers could move and fire which would probably be necessary in the chaos of the ambush, and other than that I wanted as many men as possible to fight back against the inevitable horde of Goblins that would come rushing at me! I wonder who the enemy general would be…
Battle 2 Pull yourself together
“Come on pull yourself together!”

No comments:

Post a Comment